416 New Jersey Avenue, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 08742 • 732-892-1118 • www.pointpleasantbeach.org
Welcome to Point Pleasant Beach

Point Pleasant Beach News


Printable Version


November 17, 2008

MINUTES

Minutes, PPBSTC Nov. 2008, attached and copied below
Mintues: Monthly Meeting PPBSTC
November, 17,2008 7:30 pm
Pt.Pleasant Beach Town Hall

Minutes prepared by Kitty Philipp
Meeting was called to order at 7:30pm, by Chair Kitty Philipp.
Proper and legal notice was given. Present: Kitty Philipp, Kristine Tooker (Council Liason), Clemens Bremer, Lynn Vasquez, Sharon Cadalzo
Elaine Hennessy was absent (excused/sick)

1.Attendance. October minutes approved.
2.Update: Ordinance: Kristine reported that the ordinance is completed. All present asked to review the ordinance before it was presented to council. Kristine promised to email it to all. Also, problem with the billing. Council approved $6,000 to be spent on ordinance, anticipating much less. We were billed for 51 hours! Kristine thinks this is too much time for the authoring of the ordinane to have taken. Borough attorney Sean Gerner agreed to chat with owner of firm to discuss & validate so many hours. Note: this cost will not come from the PPBSTC budget, but from the engineering department.
3.Update: Forestry Management Plan: Completed. Members comments: Clem- too wordy, lots of typos, reads more like a review of our meetings with Forestree than the original expert suggestions like we had hoped for. It is important to always emphasize that our priority is to aide residents, rather than to appear as strictly enforcement focused. Sharon- Because one of the authors had previously worked for the State, he used the appropriate wording to help it be approved on the state level. Kitty was unaware that it had been already sent for review to PPBSTC members. All agreed, our main goals are to have this approved, and to work towards remedying identified hazard trees.
4.Update: Outstanding tree removal permits. PPBSTC voted to request that 202 Seymour receive a $500 fine for not replanting. (note: they were verbally warned by Kristine, the town sent them a warning letter, and a a final attempt to have them replant, Kitty put a hand written note in their mailbox and spoke with the listing realtor. No response. UPDATE: Nov. 24’08: Tree has been replanted! No fine was issued!)
1100 Richmond: Owner has written proof from a CTE that tree was planted incorrectly by the town and this caused his sidewalk to be lifted. He paid $700 to fix the sidewalk. He feels that because the tree was planted incorrectly, and he never requested said tree, not only should he not have to replant, but the town should repay him the $700. Also, he has a letter from a CTE stating that a tree cannot be replanted in this location because the soil is too compact. Members decided to wait until Dec. meeting to render a decision, as Elaine was absent.
203 Homestead: Owner called Kitty and said that she had not wanted to remove tree, but during remodeling it was inadvertently poisoned. Builder had removed it. She wanted to replant it, but now does not have the money. She does not even have enough to pay her mortgage. She knows about the $500 fine she is facing. Kitty suggested that the PPBSTC help this resident and use money from our budget to replant this tree, especially since it is on public property, and because the PPBSTC was gifted $500 from a resident specifically to plant trees. All other members of the PPBSTC disagreed, and instead voted to give her a 6 month extension.
5.KITTY: Tree List...completed! But Kitty would like to improve it by including viable substitutes. The problem with the trees listed is that the local nursuries do not carry most of them. Kitty asked why at several local nursuries and learned that: There is no demand, therefore there is no supply. Kitty does not think it is right for the PPBSTC to force residents to replant trees that are currently very difficult to locate. Clem countered by saying that Kitty did a lot of research to learn which trees are best for our area. We need to stick to this list, and therefore create a demand.
6.New Projects: a.sidewalk phamplet: To inform residents that sidewalks can & should be shaped around the tree trunk. Kittys working on it.
b.Endowment fund: Main issue: replacing the many diseased and decayed trees on Arnold Ave., without using town money. All agree this could be best done by encouraging endowment donations. Kristine suggested asking Ocean First Bank. Sharon suggested an article in the Ocean Star. Kitty suggested a display in a local store where the store would receive a % of donation in return for floor space and expediting donations. Sharon needed to check IRS rules first.

c.discuss watering solutions: It is a waste of time and trees if we plant trees but cannot water them. Kitty suggested buying a water buffalo and sharing it with other towns. Check first to see if a neighboring town already has one.

8.Grant updates: SHARON: county grant: PPBSTC asked for 18 trees, we received 8 of them. Sharon has the list of designated locations. She will select which trees we will plant, and where they will go (according to said list).
American Elm tree grant: Kitty...our application is in. The Amercian Elm Society is now seeking a donation of $5,000 for us. They suggest that when/if we get this gant, to involve the Boy Scouts in planting.
Kitty asked Sharon if there were more grants we should be pursuing, Sharon said no.

Reminder that in December we will be reviewing outstanding permits for 2008.
10.Kitty to ask DPW for report on their experiences at the County Shade Tree training.
11.Report from SHARON AND CLEM, who attended core training sessions: Excellent. Lots of demonstration, lots of speakers (including a rep from NYC!), lots if information. Clemens again stated that he does not want to be the only PPBSTC member to attend. The education is critical to being an active PPBSTC member. Sharon agreed. Kitty lamented because she has to work when the seminars are slated for.
12.Update: LOL weeping willow. Kitty has not heard from Bonnie Scott, the resident who removed said tree and said that she wanted to replant it...with our help.
Inquiry from resident Marty Stillufsen (Kitty’s Dad)...would the PPBSTC consider targeting along the boardwalk for trees, to prevent erosion and block wind? No can do...this is private property and out of our jurisdiction.
Rt. 35 North/Bridge landing: Clemens to set up a meeting with Mike Moran of the NJ DOT to learn: a. current landscaping plans, b. be involved with future plans (raingardens, swale, etc).
2009 Budget: Due by Dec. 1....Kitty is working on it.
Next meeting: Monday, Dec. 1 7:30, Town hall. Please email Kitty with any other issues.
IF A TREE COULD SCREAM, NO ONE WOULD EVER CUT ONE DOWN AGAIN!


Published December01, 2008 | Shade Tree Committee Minutes | 699


Municipal Forms Download for Android Download for Iphone
Download for Iphones
Download for Android


Add/Remove/Update Your Contact Information
SwiftReach Networks, Inc.

Municipal Forms

Power Outage

Hurricane Sandy Information