416 New Jersey Avenue, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 08742 • 732-892-1118 • www.pointpleasantbeach.org
Welcome to Point Pleasant Beach

Point Pleasant Beach News


Printable Version


April 2, 2012

Minutes

Point Pleasant Beach Shade Tree Commission
7 pm
Pt. Pleasant Beach Town Hall

Present: Kitty Stillufsen, Clem Bremmer, Sharon Cadalzo. Absent: Council Liason Michael Corbally, Elaine Henessy, Pete Renner, Kim Dietz, Anne Lightburn. Because there was not a quorum in attendence, a meeting was held but nothing was voted on and no motions to vote were made.




1. Approved March minutes...via email.




Green Community Grant: Sharon upated: We have $6,000, for hazard tree inventory on public property. We’d like be sure that pricing is on a full inventory. Sharon to solicit bids , and then moving forward on inventory.


Public outreach/ Notes from Meeting with County forester Rich Reenstra & Sharon Cadalzo:
A. Arbor Day Program - ok for Antrim on 4/27- he invites the Mayor, Freeholder, Craig T from County Shade Tree - he does the publicity - school gets seedlings, school gets nicer tree than other schools for hosting - red oak is the state tree - County will plant the tree - Note: called Rich today to ask a question and he has been in contact with Sandy Pasola @Antrim, and he mentioned our program is quite extensive. Arbor Day Event is scheduled for Friday, April 27 at approx 1:30-1:45 PM (date chosen by Antrim).

B. Per Elaine H county did a tree massacre on Bay Ave during repaving - per Rich, he instructed trees to be pruned back as much as possible and if not possible, to remove

C. DOT tree clear cutting on Route 35 - DOT goes out to low bidder, which can be a problem - note: I addressed this with the State Dept of Forestry, at first they said they weren't aware of, however, it has been determined that they are aware. For more comment, we would have to contact Joseph Bennett at State Forestry. Kitty to ask if PPB could have criteria for tree companies doing work in our town.

D. Regarding inventory, Rich suggested contacting Charleen @Barnegat for a sampling, they did inventory 8 years ago, using google earth. Rich could come to one of our meetings to advise on how it's done. (Kitty, want to ask him?)update: if we don’t have to do the inventory oursleves, this is irrelevent.

E. Rich asked if we had a Big Tree List? (we don't). This is a project that can be done by high school students. Ask them to find the biggest tree in the municipality, take the measurements and indicate the spieces. Award a prize for the person locating the biggest tree. Kitty to check the DEP website for more info.

F. When asking about a treescape for Broadway, Rich said they didn't have one, but that we should be using “cusoil” for all our municipal projects. It's a little more expensive, but not much, it is structural soil that will allow tree roots to grow under the sidewalk without uplifitting the sidewalk. update: There is a tree scape from a few years ago from the town...Anne has a copy of this.

G. Rich will be holding a County program on trees that our DPW can attend and this will earn us CPEs . Update: they attended it a few years ago, and they “liked it”. Maybe willing tos end someone else this year?

.Interpretation signs needed at all of the trees we’ve planted - maybe county voctech program can make these.




4 PayPal update: Pete (absent, but Kitty said she is certain Pete successfully transferred between $700-800 from our Paypal account into our bank account.)

5. Possible donation of Crabapple tree at HSchool, corner of Trenton & bay. Elaine spoke with Davies in memory of Roland Davies; - would the PPBSTC donate a paver? Elaine suggests that the crabapple tree be removed and replaced by a tree donated by Davies. This way crabapples won’t get tossed by students. Kitty objected removing any healthy tree, especially one that rpoduces food for birds. Clemens said they are really messy, adn could be replaced with a cleaner tree.




7 Tree City USA: We will apply for this status, as we meet most of the eligibility requirements, including a per capita expense for trees (about $10,000, based upon a population of 5200), by adding all monies our town spends on trees (public workers hours, volunteer time etc), Sharon has this information. The per capita expense is within our FMP, so the info is available. (Total budget, divided by 5200 population). Kitty working with State Forester Todd Wyckoff on this.




New Projects: a. sidewalk pamphlet: Kitty: Done! Group comments needed. Will email to group for comments. (All points printing to donate poster size). Clem: add: large gravel shoudl be put under sidewalks to detere roots from growing up and lifting sidewalk.

Commission status update; As it is the beginning of this year, we will have to do our annual tasks to keep our status, like every year.




10. Inspection reports: Kitty spoke with Elaine Petrillo who confirmed that she received March agenda, which included updated list. Mrs.P will email to Kitty any letters she sends to homeowners about tree replacement.

Sharon: 311 Atlantic Avenue (Mongelli) – not replanted between sidewalk & curb – tree needs to be within STC jurisdiction

305 Philadelphia Avenue (did not remove) – tree was removed, it is evident by the wood curb railings – not replanted. update: a tree was removed, no permit. The official status is that a tree was never removed.

Pete: 319 Washington Avenue (new owners, previous owner removed tree)

Elaine: 106 Central Avenue (Lipari) – not replanted

509 Trenton Avenue (Bruno) – 3 trees down, not replanted – This permit was denied, fine should be issued.

Clem: 316 Niblick Street (?, I’m not sure where a tree came out) (Churchill) – not replanted

Kitty: 108 Sanborn Avenue (Keeler - removed 9/2011)

313 Atlantic Avenue (O'Donnell - removed 9/2011) – Visible to Sharon, not replanted

31 Parkway (summons issued, removed w/o permit-Ricci, removed 10/28/2011)




Kitty asked/ will remind Elaine to give homeowners who remove a tree a BBT program brochure. Pete: Please make more pamphlets for Elaine P.




American Liberty Elm: Kim to update. FREC to donate bench tops & backings, need to find pilings, possibly also legs (Approach shop teacher again) Kris-To see that plaque gets mounted to building. (Plaque- working on mounting it to wall- Kitty suggested we try and source recycled wood. Group (esp. Kitty and Nina) to work on this. We still need to have an official ceremony.




White Pine at Antrim: Kris spoke w/ head of ground, kitty left him a Voice Message. Kitty spoke with another grounds keeper and left a message with head of grounds in December. – Per S. Pasola, tree planted in back of school due to expected size. Sharon said that Rich reenstra might be able to get us another white pine. Kitty lamented that it might not be planted in the front of the school. Clem said maybe infront of the school was not the best location. Both agreed that regardless of where new tree would be planted, must be cared for.




12. Recommendation by Councilman Corbally to try to sell the town on trees, drawing of what the streetscape looks like now and what it could look like. Need a visual plan, how do we get this done for free? Mike C to contact Freeholder Lacey. Anne has it, and is following through .




13. 3 trees removed at Pleasure Park – Elaine H knew they were to come down; town didn’t inform STC when Davies was hired and which trees were involved.




STC has 3 trees to donate; perhaps recommendation could be made by Pete R. Maybe 1 in Pleasure Park, 2 somewhere else. STC should hold a ceremony. Big, Beautiful Tree Program: Update: 20 trees to be planted! Ann suggested that one of these be used to replace the tree damaged during Irene by the War Memorial and that we ask the VFW to participate in a dedication ceremony with us - Memorial Day? . Clem suggestion: send an srticle about our BBT program to ANJEC.


15. 2 trees removed in front of the former Emmas. Was the property owner fined? – Kitty, please check with Elaine P. We need to let Mike Corbally know that once again PPBSTC not informed. Also important for our group to be in touch with memebrs on the planning board, so that we may interject and offer our opinions as needed. Idea: we should email to members of the planning board whenever a tree is removed .




New Business - Kitty: Asking the town to switch to all recycled paper. Also, Kitty to ask Cathy Sogorka for help. Kitty to update. Note: $414 difference if the borough hall switched to recycled paper. Town currently pays: $32.40 per case of paper at Staples. They have 100% recycled paper at $42.74/case. The Clerk’s office has been copying on both sides of the paper for at least 20 years. The Police Department uses paper with a partial recycled content at $36.99/carton. The Building Department uses about 5 cases of paper/year. The Clerk's office buys for the rest of the building, except for the Police, and orders approximately 35 - 40 cases/year. Cases contain 10 reams of paper.




Also worth our pursuit: Paperless agendas for Council, Board of Adjustment & Planning Board. For all Council Members to receive correspondence via email would also save both paper and budget money.

We could seriously cut down on paper use (4 - 5 cases) if the Governing Body would consider going to paperless agendas. Clem: The savings on paper use could make up for the additional cost of recycled paper. Will seek Councilman Corbally’s advocacy on this.

Next Meeting May 7th


Published May14, 2012 | Shade Tree Committee Minutes | 1375


Municipal Forms Download for Android Download for Iphone
Download for Iphones
Download for Android


Add/Remove/Update Your Contact Information
SwiftReach Networks, Inc.

Municipal Forms

Power Outage

Hurricane Sandy Information