Building Department Requirements for Rental Properties
The Borough of Point Pleasant is pleased to announce the addition of online rental registration. Starting immediately, property owners can apply for their rental certificate of occupancy online.
You can complete the process by following the directions provided below. ***Please note: If your current certificate is not scheduled to expire within this calendar year, you are not required to complete steps 3 or 4 until expiration of certificate or change in tenant, whichever should occur first.
1. Click on the login tab and then "Register Now,” complete your user account and click create user. You will be able to use this Username and Password for all your future business needs. (If you have already done this for another license, please feel free to use that username & password.) You will receive a verification email, please click on the link provided within the email. If you do not receive it, be sure to check your junk/spam box.
After the above process, you will be directed to our portal, here you will find a section marked “Licensing and Permitting.”
2. Click "Apply for or review your Landlord Identity Disclosure" and then “Start a New Application” and then follow the fields. (This portion of registration will be a one-time process and will remain on file for your property.) ***Please note: your application will not be processed without completing this step.
When the above process is complete, locate on the left corner the “Menu.”
3. Click Apply for or review your Property Inspection
4. Click Residential Rental Certificate of Occupancy and follow the instructions.
After completing and submitting the application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. Once the application has been reviewed, you will also receive an e-mail with an attached invoice. Please print this invoice and remit with payment in person or via mail to:
416 New Jersey Avenue
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 08742
After payment has been received by this office, an inspection of the property will be scheduled. Please note that failure to complete this application and obtain an inspection for a Rental License for each dwelling unit prior to occupancy is punishable by a fine not to exceed $500.00. Smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors & fire extinguishers must be serviced before inspection. If the property has to be re-inspected for violations, a $50.00 fee is charged. All fees are non-refundable.
LANDLORD/TENANTS RIGHTS BOOKLET
The State Department of Community Affairs distributes a Landlord-Tenants Rights booklet. This booklet is an excellent source of information for tenants as well as landlords. A copy of this booklet can be obtained by forwarding a nominal fee of $1.50 to the following address:
Office of Landlord-Tenant Information
Department of Community Affairs
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0805
Check should be made payable to:
Treasurer, State of New Jersey
GUIDELINES FOR INSPECTIONS
- Outside of property clean of trash, debris, high grass and weeds. No accumulation of any kind.
- Outside of house and trim, clean and neat (not peeling, chipping, or worn).
- Number on house
- Handrails required where there are 3 or more risers, over 30 inches or more in height, and for all stairs or steps used for egress. Handrails are secured.
- Decks are secured and free from rotten boards.
- All windows are properly maintained (open and close freely).
- Window locking devices in proper working order.
- Window screens provided and are free from holes.
- All basement windows have tight-fitting covers.
- Sliding entry and privacy doors have knobs or handles that are secure. All doors must open & close freely.
- Sliding doors must have operable locks.
- Dead bolt locks have thumb latch.
- Interior of house, all rooms painted, clean and neat (not peeling or chipping).
- Apartment/House completely cleaned.
- Handrails inside are secured.
- Carpets are clean, free of ripped or worn areas and free from holes.
- All bedrooms have privacy doors and are free from holes.
- All bathrooms have privacy doors and are free from holes.
- All doors are free from holes.
- Closets have doors, poles and shelves secured.
- All sliding closet doors have door guards.
- Stove furnished by owner, clean and operable.
- All appliances clean and operable.
- Electric on and in working order.
- All electrical switches and outlets are operating properly.
- Gas on and in working order.
- Plumbing fixtures in working order.
- No leaks in any faucet, pipes or under sink.
- Heating system safe and sufficient heating from October 1st to May 15th. All heat outlets are permanent and secured to the wall.
- Smoke Detectors up and in working order.
- Carbon Monoxide detectors up and in working order. Please refer to manufacturers installation
- Fire Extinguisher no smaller than 2A:10B:C, less than 10 lbs., rated for residential use, hung in a visible location within 10 feet of the kitchen area, no higher than 5 feet off the floor, near a room exit or travel path to the exterior. Must be accompanied by owner’s manual/written info regarding operation, inspection & maintenance of extinguisher. Extinguisher must be installed with operating instructions clearly visible.
- Rental unit is maintained in good repair, structurally sound and in a sanitary condition.
This is not a complete list. However, it is an overview to provide you with an idea of what the inspector will be checking.
Borough of Point Pleasant Beach
416 New Jersey Avenue
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Phone: (732) 892-1118
FAX (732) 892-1594